In this section, there will be items on Arnolds and the local areas history and other items of interest.


Dangers of Driving

by Bob Massey

With the number of vehicles on the roads increasing all the time it is not unusual to hear of accidents involving road users and pedestrians

A week before Christmas on the 16th December  Henry Tinsdale a 9 yr old boy was walking along Mapperley top when he was hit by a vehicle. The driver failed to stop and the boy was left lying in the road until help finely arrived... He was taken to the hospital where it was found that he had luckily only sustained a broken ankle.

A hit and run accident are not unheard of today, it would have made the papers without a doubt. The year that this happened however was 1876 and the vehicle in question was horse driven. There may not have been as much traffic on the roads as today. Horses however are not like cars they may respond to the driver but can be frightened, bolt or be unpredictable when subject to a loud noise, especially if being handled by an inexperienced rider. Elias Goodhead from Back streetArnold (High Street ) was thrown from his horse, which was frightened, while he was riding in Mapperley hills in March 1847.  Although he was not injured in the fall the horse them trod on Elias breaking his left leg.

On Saturday, July 26th 1839 Charles Wright was driving his gig towards Nottingham with his two children on board. The trace suddenly broke and it struck the horse alarming it and it dashed off at a furious pace. mr Wright was unable to stop it or even check its speed. This continued until the gig came in contact with the premises occupied by Deacon and Wade where it upset the gig spilling the family into the street. Luckily only their dignity was hurt and the horse likewise escaped without harm.

Streets at this time had no lighting and the transport had no lights. On the 14th December 1876 about 7pm mr Hall his daughter and a male friend were driving along Mapperley top. It was very dark and there was no light of any kind. When they reached a spot known as Mapperley pond, the horse went through a gap in the roadside hedge instead of on down the road. This resulted in the gig driving straight into the pond. No one sustained serious injuries but miss Hall was immersed in the water up to her neck. She was taken to a nearby cottage and given a change of clothes. Meanwhile, the horse, the cause of the trouble, was removed with difficulty from the pond. The carriage however was stuck fast and its removal had to wait until daylight.

Speeding at night can often cause trouble today. On 20th August 1886 two traps were travelling along Mapperley top in opposite directions. It was 10oclock at night and dark but both were traveling at speed. One was driven by Mr Lord and the other by Mr Kirk the market gardener who had his wife and sister with him. The two gigs on passing hit each other. Mr Lords gig overturned and he was thrown out but escaped with only bruises. The other gig of mr Kirk was also tipped over with the two male passengers escaping with only bruises. Kirks sister however was not so lucky as she receiving a broken arm. Both parties managed to right the gigs, the horses being unharmed, they all proceeded on their way. Accidents of these types were very common. Horses are animals, not vehicles. They can be unpredictable and need to be treated with care and respect on the highway by all road users. This is even more important with today's traffic than it was in the 1800s.



William de Corner

by Bob Massey

During my research for a history course on Mapperley more information came to light about one of the earliest founders of the town. That of William de Corner. William owned land west of the present-day Woodborough road an area called Cornerwong translated as Corners field. A wong was in the 14th century, a large tract of land that was not cultivated but used to graze animals..

William was one of the clerks to king Henry III appointed in 1269 as Papal Chaplin to the king.. As a churchman, he was very well educated and like most senior men at the court spoke perfect French. In 1271 William was nominated as Archbishop of Dublin and bitter struggle between himself and Fromund le Brun ensued with the Pope eventually having to intercede. He settled the matter by disqualifying both candidates in favour of John de Derlington.

From 1272 to 1273 William as Proctor and Royal Envoy was sent on diplomatic missions by the king to the French court. On his return, he was appointed Archdeacon of Northumberland and clerk to the Archbishop of Canterbury John Pecham. He was now serving the two most powerful men in England, both the king and the most senior church leader. .Mapperley at the time was within the forest of Sherwood and subject to the Kings Forest Law. Mapperley was then administered by the local Lord of the Forest, in this case, William de Corner, on behalf of the king. William owned the land but his actions regarding its use was greatly restricted by forest law and subject to considerable penalties if disobeyed.. His new position gave him the kings ear however and thus allowed him to gain certain rights within the forest, which would normally be restricted only to the king. Those being the right to cut and use timber and clear certain areas for agriculture. This then was the first time that Mapperley had to see the land being worked though be it on a small scale.

As a result of Williams work for the king in France, when the Bishop of Salisbury Henry of Braunstone died he was one of 3 candidates put forward to replace him. However, in spite of the king's patronage, the vote went against him and Laurence of Hagbourne was appointed. Just after the election, however, Laurence died and so  William was then appointed to the post. He became Bishop of Salisbury and was consecrated at Canterbury on March 16th 1289.

The following year now with his new standing and authority he was again sent on a further diplomatic mission to France this time by the new king Edward the first. During this trip, he became ill and complained of recent various illnesses and exhaustion. He returned to England but was off again on his travels to France in June the next year. During this trip, he became ill again, but this time he did not recover and it resulted in his death on 10th October 1291, while still in France.. His bones were shipped back to England and buried in Salisbury. His tomb, which still exists, is only 1.1m long and it is often referred to as the tomb of the boy bishop. William was however of average height for the time, about 5'4" but as only his loose bones were placed in the tomb it only needed a small monument. The space being limited within the church.